Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Red Coat

When I was about seven my mother made me a beautiful red wool coat. Every detail was hand stitched to perfection. It was both very warm against the harsh Maine winter and adorably feminine and cute. I remember wearing it to school and having the teacher ask me where I got such a beautiful coat. When I told her my mother made it she was amazed at my mother’s talent. I never forgot that red coat, so one day when fishing around on eBay, I came across a red coat.
This coat was made in China, synthetic material, but actually very cute and the price was right. It cost me about $40.00. I took the chance. For some reason I really wanted a red coat, but I did not want to invest a lot of money and time. So the coat arrived and to my surprise it is so cute, looks great and unless you really examine it, it does not look like fake wool. It’s a head turner. All the tags inside and attached are in Chinese. I haven’t a clue what this coat is made of or how to clean it. But the way I see it, if I get one season of fun wearing it and then it falls apart it was worth the price.
I paired it with my yellow boats with a red heel that came from Miss Sixty. Anybody remember Miss Sixty? I met her in Italy just before she came to the US. A store opened in LA and that is where I got the boots. Of course they were on sale. I’ve had them for years.
The earring came from Melbourne Australia. Easy, cute and lots of fun just like the Aussies. The hat I bought at an African Market that takes place in LA every summer. Oh and the scarf – I was with my friend Evlynne at the Discovery Store on Robertson. It is a fabulous second hand store and all the proceeds go to the Cancer Society. I saw the scarf, had no idea why I picked it up or how I would wear it, but I was draw to it. Plus the fact it only cost two dollars made it a keeper.
So my new red coat came alive with a little of this and a little of that. The truth be known the little red coat my mother made for me also came from a  little of this and a little of that. She used a piece of red wool, buttons from another coat and trim from a left over project. She lined it with satin from a dress she took apart. 
Life, if you think about it, is a little of this and a little of that and if you get creative enough with what you have (get) you might get something that turns a head, creates a smile and fills you with a great memory.

Happy Holidays and may every day be a red coat day filled with laughter, joy and fond memories!



No comments:

Post a Comment