Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Jeanome Project©

There are 6 billion people on the planet with a mass of about 100 trillion cells. Contained within these cells is DNA or the set of instructions that tell the cells how to build all of these 6 billion people. Researchers call these instructions “genome.”

When scientist mapped the human genes they found approximately 24,000. Although scientist have sequenced the human genome these instruction have not been fully understood. Humans come in many different shapes and sizes. However, we all share a similar level of DNA. This leads me to The Jeanome Project©.
When I mapped my closet I found 60 different jeans in various colors, shapes and styles!  The sequencing of how I acquired so many jeans may not appear to be easily understood, but I’m sure it can be found in my DNA.  I love jeans because they are so casual and versatile, and that is really me. That’s a lot of jeans unless of course you are someone like me who goes from workout clothes to jeans every day.
The average number of jeans that a woman owns is eight. Really? How can that be? With so many colors and so many styles are eight really enough? Scientist tell us that the genes of any two humans are 99% the same. However it is that tiny fraction of the genome that makes us different. It’s the DNA variation that makes us all unique. So I guess owning 60 jeans is just a variation in my DNA. But I don’t think I’m unique in this one. I’ll bet the average is greater than eight!

My work attire consists of workout clothes. Every day I get up and go to the gym or studio and teach yoga, dance and Spin. For me dressing up is a great pair of jeans. Besides that I live in Los Angles where jeans are the normal attire. You even find jeans at the Opera and the theatre.

When traveling anywhere in the world it is now acceptable to wear a pair of jeans to dinner as long as they are not torn. I always pack a pair of black jeans. They work for any occasion.

I can’t help myself. I have an obsession with jeans. May-be that’s because I was in the denim business many years ago or may-be it has to do with the fact that at one time in my life I owned may-be two pair of jeans. Whatever the nature of my obsession, I love jeans. So I decide to map the jeannome project by carefully creating an outfit with each pair of jeans in my closet.

Jeans come in a dizzying array of styles and colors. There are slim style, baggie style, skinny style, Capri style and distressed style. But, every pair contains the same instructions only changed by that 1% of personal style. So how do outfits know whether to go slim or baggie? The answer lies in the jeanetic switch. Pick your jeans and the outfit evolves!

Genes are defined “(in informal use)  as a unit of heredity that is transferred from a parent to offspring and is held to determine some characteristic of the offspring.”
Is that what jeans really are to me? Some kind of unit that gets transferred into a determining characteristic and a new outfit arrives? Yes, that is it! That’s why I love my jeans. Each outfit adds a slight variation, but the original is never lost.

Follow along with me as I approach The Jenanome Project.  Sixty pairs of jeans and counting, I’ll attempt to create sixty plus and counting outfits. Perhaps somewhere is the maze of jeans you’ll find a little inspiration of your own. How many jeans do you own? I’d love to know. We’re working off the honor system so accurately count and share your jean mapping with me.

Here is Francine my muse. She is a work in process.  Sometimes the creations are spot on and sometime they miss a beat. But as long as we keep creating there will be life, there will be art and there will be jeans to map Welcome to the Jeanome Project! Support an artist. It’s good for the soul.








What’s next?



No comments:

Post a Comment